Friday, November 10, 2017

Learning Challenge: Mental Health Testimony

The mental health video I liked best was Jeremiah Stinnett talking about social anxiety. As a psychology major, this impacts me two ways. How can I help others, and how can I help myself? I also suffer from this. I felt like the video was really powerful because as someone who has problems with this, I could see how much effort it was taking him to just be behind a video camera, knowing that not only the person filming was seeing and hearing everything, but also that many people would see the video. That's an incredibly hard thing for someone with social anxiety to do. He looked uncomfortable, which is how I look any time I have to present in a class, or talk in a group I'm not very comfortable with. It was really brave of him to even do this. It also really hit home with me when he talked about how people without social anxiety don't even think it's a thing, because that's so true. People without it think you should just suck it up and do it and it will be no big deal. Unfortunately, that's not the case for us at all.



2 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to say I am so glad you found those videos and felt that sense of connection, Angela! That video series is something OU can be really proud of; the students are all so brave and their words are so powerful, and what they did really makes a difference because the videos are just out there, along with the articles, ready to provide a voice and to be a help to anyone who wants to learn more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I think that I may do this as my learning challenge for this week. It seems as though it delivered a great message that is worth listening to. I also am interested in psychology as it is my minor. This makes me very interested in this topic and all that the brain does. I love that this man had the courage to put this out to the public as I am sure, as you said, it must have been rather hard for him.

    ReplyDelete